Saturday, September 02, 2006

I came, I saw, I conquered!

When I look back and think of my childhood, there is one picture, which is imprinted in my heart. It was 1987, and I was eight years old. Our family had just moved to a different place, and as soon as I got an opportunity to explore the place, I was on my way to our terrace, and from their to our neighbour's terrace on 3rd floor. There was a small wall dividing our neighbour's terrace from their immediate neighbour. I managed to climb on that wall, and stood there with one foot infront of other, barely balancing myself on that narrow wall. And when I looked infront of me, I could see hundreds of small houses from there. I had managed to stand on the tallest structure in our street in a small town. I dont know why but that sight was so engrossing....I was mesmerized. I have always loved heights. And I figured it out pretty early in my life (terraces, and such walls were my favorite spots). That sight was an achievement in itself, just the fact that I managed to see it by sneaking into some unknown neighbour's terrace, and standing at that height, gave me a pleasure unknown to me before.
Years later, I still look out of window everytime I travel on plane, or wherever I manage to be on a tall building . I still remember whenever our family use to go to some hill station during summer vacations, my head always use to be out of car. Even my parents scolding was not enough to keep me inside the car for more than 10 minutes. Whether it was a hill station or top of a narrow wall in my street, looking at the things infront of me, I always had a feeling as if the world is out there for you to come and conquer it!
That was long time back....so many things have changed. I am a grown up person now, have supposedly seen a lot in life but there are few pictures and memories which keep on coming back to you! And few things which keep you reminding that yes, world is still out there, waiting for you tc come, and conquer it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Winning and loosing is from the mind, at times our own mind is our own enemy. Seems like u have come a long way n a long way to go. All the very best.